This delicious mac and “cheese” recipe using sweet potato and unsweetened almond milk keep the recipe dairy free and vegan. The sauce is very creamy and does not taste like eating a sweet potato. You will not miss the heavy cheese.
We need to roast two medium sweet potatoes at 350 F for two hours. After they are cooked let them cool, peel and mash. Measure out one cup for the recipe.
The recipe is really good but does not taste like eating a sweet potato. But the sauce is flavorful and very creamy. You will not miss the heavy cheese.
Now we need to make a roux. Heat 1/2 cup of neutral flavored oil on low heat. When it’s hot add 3.5 ounces of flour. 3.5 ounces gives a one to one ratio of flour to oil. Whisk to blend the flour and oil together and cook on low for two minutes.
Mix in one cup of mashed cooked sweet potato.
Raise the burner to high and add 3.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk, one clove chopped garlic, one teaspoon of soy sauce, two teaspoons of sea salt, one teaspoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon dijon mustard.
When it starts to bubble reduce heat to medium and cook for five minutes. Keep stirring to break up the sweet potato. After five minutes add a pinch of nutmeg and whisk in.
Cook your Pasta according to package directions.
Combine your pasta and sauce. It’s now ready to serve.
My video on YouTube
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup oil neutral flavored
- 3.5 ounce flour
- 1 cup sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 3.5 cups almond milk or your favorite milk
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Roast sweet potatoes at 350F until cooked thru (roughly 2 hours)
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil and add 3.5 ounces of flour. Cook for 2 minutes
- Add roasted and mashed sweet potato, almond milk, garlic, soy sauce, sea salt, lemon juice and mustard. Wisk to combine.
- Bring the sauce up to temp, reduce flame to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving add a pinch of nutmeg.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain macaroni add sauce and combine.