This simple gout friendly burger can be cooked indoors or on the grill.
I love a good burger! After changing my diet to help control my gout, it is one of the things that has been really hard to do without. But ground beef from unknown cuts of the animal is very dangerous for gout suffers. So for this recipe, we will substitute portobello mushrooms. To compensate for the lack of mayo and cheese, we will load it up with smashed avocado.
These burgers are delicious and low in calories.
For our burger we will need:
Portobello Mushrooms: Here we have two bun sized mushrooms.
Avocado: One medium sized avocado.
Rosemary: One sprig of fresh rosemary, before using bruise it up a little to release the oil.
Garlic: A few cloves of roughly chopped garlic. How many cloves is really up to you.
Balsamic Vinegar: Two tablespoons of a one that you like but nothing to expensive.
Soy Sauce: One Tablespoon of soy sauce for an umami kick.
Olive Oil: Two Tablespoons of olive oil.
Black pepper: The marinade will get a pinch of black pepper.
Salt: A pinch of salt will be in the marinade and the avocado mash.
Broccolini: On the side, we will grill up one bunch of broccolini. As much as I live fries, this makes an easy side dish to go with the burger.
For the mushroom marinade in a bowl, add olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary black pepper, and salt pinch. Give it a good mix and set it aside.
You can choose to clean the mushrooms or leave the gills on. They are edible, but the presentation is better without them. I usually cut off the steam, trim the edges and scrape off the gills. After that, I cut some shallow slots so the marinade can penetrate.
After they are clean, cover with the marinade and let sit for thirty minutes to one hour. Every ten minutes or so, give them a toss to keep all sides in contact with the marinade.
The avocado mash is very simple. Take one avocado, scoop out the inside, add a pinch of salt, and mash. If preparing your avocado mash ahead of time, add the juice of one lime. This will help keep the avocado mash a nice bright color.
If you want to cook some grilled broccolini, wash it, dry it and toss with a little oil and a pinch of salt. It will then be ready to cook.
Heat your grill or, in this case, griddle. Wipe off the garlic and rosemary and place the mushrooms on the grill. Cook until they have gotten thinner from releasing moisture and have some char. This will take about five minutes per side. I start with the flat side down and flip after two minutes. Then flip again after two minutes. Do this until they look good.
I do basically the same thing to the broccolini. Once the broccolini has some char on two sides, I remove it.
Take the mushrooms off the grill, place between a bun, and add lots of smashed avocado.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic fresh, roughly chopped
- 1 sprig Rosemary fresh, bruised
- 1 each Avocado
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 each Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 each Burger buns
- 1 bunch Broccolini
- 1/4 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
Make the Marinade
- To a bowl add olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary black pepper and a pinch of salt. Give it a good mix and sit aside.
Prep the Mushrooms
- Cut off the steam, trim the edges and scrape off the gills.
Marinade the Mushrooms
- Cover with the marinade and let sit for thirty minutes to one hour.
Make the Avocado Mash
- Take one avocado scope out the inside add a pinch of salt and mash. If your making ahead of time add the juice of one lime.
- Heat up your grill or in this case griddle. Wipe off the garlic and rosemary and place the mushrooms on the grill.
- Cook until they have gotten thinner from releasing moisture and have some char. This will take about five minutes per side. I start out with the flat side down and flip after two minutes. Then flip again after two minutes. Do this until they look good.
- Take the mushrooms off the grill, place between a bun and add lots of smashed avocado.
- Toss the broccolini with olive oil and salt
- Grill the broccolini with the mushrooms