One dish that I really do miss since going on the Gout Friendly Diet is gumbo. Most variations have something that is on the bad list for me. On the bad list is items that I have to severally limit. So why not do a version with nothing from the bad list. This is my first attempt at a vegan version but lets see how it goes.
The easiest version of gumbo that I know is chicken and sausage. So lets try to make a gout friendly version of that. For the chicken I am using frozen wheat gluten that I bought from a Vietnamese market called Mi Can. It is very similar to the http://jamesstrange.com/recipe/vegan-gout-friendly-sausages/ minus the white beans. To replace the andouille sausage I am using a tofu version of andouille sausage.
Spoiler this will be the last time I buy tofu andouille sausage.
To simplify things I made the roux in the microwave. That is fairly straight forward. Add oil and flour in a large glass container mix and heat in the microwave for five minutes. Mix and heat again for one minute. Continue doing this a few times until you get close to the color you want then go 30 seconds at a time. When get the color you want add trinity (onion, celery and bell pepper) to sweat the veggies and stop the roux from cooking.
I used 4 cups of veggie stock and 4 cups of water. You can use any ration of water / stock that you like. You can add almost any vegetable that you like. Traditionally tomatoes should not be used. But it is your gumbo…..
I will admit this tasted like gumbo but the “chicken” and “sausage” were not what I was looking for the sausage was really mushy. I will continue working of the recipe and will post more versions as I learn.
Roux and veggies
- 1 cup oil
- 7 oz flour all purpose
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 3/4 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
"meat" and seasoning
- 11 oz gluten Mi Can
- 14 oz Tofu Andouille
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoing Your favorite brand
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can corn 1 15.25 oz can
- 4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ground
- Add 1 Cup of oil and 7oz of flour to a large glass container mix and heat in the microwave for five minutes. Mix and heat again for one minute. Continue doing this a few times until you get close to the color you want then go 30 seconds at a time. When get the color you want add 2 cups of trinity (onion, celery and bell pepper) to sweat the veggies and stop the roux from cooking.
- Brown the gluten and sausages in oil on medium high heat.
- Add 4 cups vegetable stock, sausages, corn, cajun seasoning and roux to a large pot on high heat. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Shred the gluten.
- To the pot add enough water to archive the consistency you want. I used 4 Cups.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon gumbo file, and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper bring to a slow boil and cook 10 minutes.