Lately I have been craving something cooked in salsa verde. But of course it has to be something gout friendly. So why not squash and mushrooms. The most important part is a flavorful salsa made with tomatillos.
JamesStrange.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. In simple terms, this means that if you click and buy something, we are paid a fee. This fee is used to help recover some of the costs of running the site.
The todays raw salsa verde is just a basic salsa verde. If you want you can also roast everything then make the salsa but this way requires less clean up.
If you want to see how I make my complete raw salsa verde watch this video. This one is great on tacos.
First I need to make the salsa by adding all of the salsa ingredients to a blender and liquifying them. Then sit it aside until needed.
Roughly chop the squash and mushrooms.The squash I used today was labeled calabaza squash but zucchini would work.
Cook the veggies until they start to get some color (they will have also reduced down). Then season with cumin and ground ancho chili (optionally chili powder). Then add the salsa and cook until the squash is almost tender. Taste to check seasoning and add salt if needed. Add the cilantro (if you like cilantro) and cook two more minutes.
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 1 each serrano pepper or more
- 1/2 each small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 each squash calabaza or zucchini
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chili or your favorite chili powder
- 1 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- First make the salsa verde. To a blender add tomatillos, serrano pepper, onion, garlic, salt, water and lime juice. Blend until liquid.
- To a hot pan add 1 Tablespoon of oil, squash and mushrooms cook until they start to get some color. About 5 minutes
- To the pan add the ground cumin and ground ancho chili and stir.
- Add the salsa verde to the pan and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. If the pan starts to get dry and a little water.
- Taste to check for seasoning, if needed add salt.
- Add one cup roughly chopped cilantro and cook for 2 more minutes. Then serve.