Mung bean sprouts are tasty and loaded with health benefits. This easy bean sprout recipe will show you how to make them delicious. This method does work with other kinds of sprouts. If your interested in the health benefits Healthline wrote a great article.
Today I am using sprouts that I grew using this method.
My preference is to remove the roots before cooking. Removing the roots is not required but I think it makes the sprouts taste better. Sometimes when you buy them in the bag the roots are already removed or are very small. In that case you can bypass this step.
After cleaning I had eight ounces of bean sprouts and three ounces of roots.
Since the cooking time is very quick you need to have your ingredients ready.
Bean sprouts: For this recipe we used fresh mung bean sprouts. Soy bean sprouts will also work.
Fresh garlic: For this method only fresh garlic will do.
Green onion: It adds a nice flavor and a little color.
Salt: The dish does need salt.
Oil: For cooking use a neutral flavored oil that you like.
Sesame oil: Used for flavor.
Preheat your pan then add the oil, garlic and green onion. If you want to add other veggies like ginger or bell pepper add them now as well.
Cook until the garlic brings a nice smell to the kitchen then add the bean sprouts, salt and sesame oil. If you want to add some soy sauce add it also (but cut back on the salt).
Keep flipping the sprouts to mix in the seasoning until the sprouts have slightly softened. This should only take around three minutes. If they start to release water they are done. As soon as they are done remove from the hot pan.
- 8 oz Mung bean sprouts Cleaned, roots removed
- 1/2 Tablespoon Oil Neutral flavored oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 1 Green onion Finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame oil
- To a pan on medium high heat add the oil, garlic and green onion. Cook until the garlic starts to smell. The add the bean sprouts, salt and sesame oil.
- Use tongs to keep turning the bean sprouts. Cook 3 or 4 minutes. When they start to release water they are done.
- Remove from the pan so they can cool down.