Super simple alfredo sauce served on the
Alfredo sauce is a classic Italian sauce for pasta made by combining melted butter, cream, and parmesan cheese. In this version, we ditch the carb-loaded pasta for keto-friendly heart of palm noodles.
What is alfredo sauce?
Fettuccine Alfredo (actually fettuccine al triplo burro) is said to have been invented in Rome by chef Alfredo di Lelio. It was a very simple made tableside that consisted of fettuccine noodles, butter, and quality parmesan cheese. Of course, as Americans, we had to complicate more than that.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ingredients
We will keep the dish keto and use high-quality ingredients
I use full-fat heavy cream, yes it is loaded with calories but it makes the dish so creamy. Some recipes will call for half and half or milk. Cream has fewer carbs so we will stick with the cream. You can use heavy cream or whipping cream.
Use any real butter that you like, there is no reason to buy special butter for this dish. But I do prefer to use grass-fed butter but that is a personal choice.
I use good but not great quality parmesan cheese but I do not use the great Parmesan Reggiano for this dish. Keep in mind, that a little high-quality Parmesan Reggiano grated onto the dish at the table is amazing.
Yes, you can make alfredo sauce with other types of cheese. The choice is yours.
I prefer to use fresh chopped garlic. You can use garlic powder if you like.
To reduce the total and net carbs of our “past” we are going to use the heart of palm linguine.
What is heart of palm pasta?
Heart of palm pasta is made by cutting the heart of the cabbage palm tree into past shaped strips. By themselves, the only real flavor they have is the brine that they are shipped in. To remove that flavor I prefer to blanch them before eating.
First, bring a pot of water to a boil. This is a good time to get all of your ingredients together and measure them out.
In a saucepan melt butter and continue to cook the butter until it turns slightly brown. Add your garlic and cream and whisk. When the cream comes to a simmer add your cheese and whisk until it had melted then reduce the burner to low heat.
Check the consistency of your sauce. If it’s too thin add more cheese, if too thick add more cream.
When the pot of water starts to boil add your heart of palm noodles and cook for 30 to 45 seconds.
When the noodles are done pour them into a colander and shake off the excess water. Add your pasta to the saucepan and toss until coated with sauce.
Angela at keto vegetarian recipes has a great recipe for jalapeno spaghetti that you really should check out.
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 3 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1 cup Heart of palm noodles
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil get all of your ingredients together and measured out.
- In a saucepan melt butter and continue to cook the butter until it turns slightly brown. Add your garlic and cream and whisk. When the cream comes to a simmer add your cheese and whisk until it had melted then reduce the burner to low heat.4 Tablespoons Butter, 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream, 1 clove garlic, 1 pinch Nutmeg, 3 oz Parmesan cheese
- When the pot of water starts to boil add your heart of palm noodles and cook for 30 to 45 seconds.1 cup Heart of palm noodles
- When the noodles are done pour them into a colander and shake off the excess water. Add your pasta to the saucepan and toss until coated with sauce.