My last post showed how to make shreddable chicken style seitan. This stir fry recipe using our homemade seitan is very easy, healthy and delicious. The method used is very versatile allowing you to sub whatever veggies you like.
JamesStrange.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. In simple terms, this means that if you click and buy something, we are paid a fee. This fee is used to help recover some of the costs of running the site.
Anytime I do a stir fry I have everything prepped before I turn on the burner. Things go quick so everything needs to be ready and close by. As much as possible I will have things laid out in the order that I will use them.
You might notice that I am using broccolini and not broccoli. You can use either one but I am really liking broccolini right now. But I do treat it like two different veggies. Which is why the tops are cut off from the stems. The thicker stems have been split in half lengthwise.
Bell pepper and onion have been cut into strips. Mushrooms sliced up. Ginger rough diced and garlic has been sliced.
The seitan gets marinated very similar to how I would normally marinate chicken before stir frying. We will not get the same mouth feel like when velveting chicken. But the seitan will absorb flavor and have a nice texture.
First add one Tablespoon rice wine then mix with the seitan. You want to evenly wet the surface. (if you do not want to use alcohol just use water or veggie broth) Then add one teaspoon of dark soy sauce and mix. Then add one teaspoon of cornstarch and mix. Mix until you do see any white spots. Your "chickun" is now ready.
The first step of the cooking process is to blanch the broccolini. Bring a small pot of water to a rapid boil. Add the broccolini stems and cook for forty five seconds to one minute. The stems should just start to get a little tender. At this time add the tops and cook for one more minute.
Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water. Or place into an ice bath. I have started using the rinse in cold water method to free up counter space. Blanching the broccolini or broccoli allows it to retain a nice green color during cooking.
To a hot pan add one and a half Tablespoons of peanut oil. To the oil add the ginger and garlic. This step will flavor your oil. When you can smell garlic and ginger (proximity 30 seconds later) add your mushrooms, onion and bell pepper.
After one minute add the seitan and broccolini stems. Add a pinch of sea salt.
After three minutes add the broccolini tops and add one teaspoon of soy sauce.
After three minutes add half a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil. Cook for one more minute and its ready to serve.
My video on YouTube
- 8 ounces seitan
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine
- 1 teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger rough chop
- 1/2 Cup Onion
- 1/2 Cup Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Cup broccolini
- 1.5 Tablespoons Peanut Oil
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
Prep the veggies
- For the broccolini separate the tops from the stems. Any thick stems cut in half lengthwise.
- Cut the bell pepper and onion into strips.
- Slice the mushrooms and garlic.
- Give the ginger a rough chop.
Marinate the Seitan
- Add the rice wine and mix.
- Add the dark soy sauce and mix.
- Add the cornstarch and mix
Blanch the Broccolini
- To a pot of boiling water add the broccolini stems and cook for forty five seconds to one minute.
- Add the tops and cook for one more minute.
- Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water. Or place into an ice bath.
Time to cook
- Get everything ready and close by
- To a hot pan add one and a half Tablespoons of peanut oil. To the oil add the ginger and garlic.
- When you can smell garlic and ginger (approximately 30 seconds later) add your mushrooms, onion and bell pepper.
- After one minute add the seitan and broccolini stems. Add a pinch of sea salt.
- After three minutes add the broccolini tops and add one teaspoon of soy sauce.
- After three minutes add half a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil. Cook for one more minute and its ready to serve.